The Village of East Canton was settled in the 1700’s and had the honor of being the first county seat. It is home to approximately 1,591 people, located in the heart of Osnaburg Township just 5 miles east of Canton on State Route 30 and 4 miles south of Louisville on State Route 44.
Village Hall was built at 130 Cedar Street South in 1890. Remodeling was done in 1905 and 1966. Another renovation took place in 2002 converting the attached former fire department into office space, police department and council chambers and allowing the building to be handicap accessible. The original Village Hall with bell tower still prestigiously stands and serves as the Mayor’s Office.
The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad brought many passengers through the village in the late 1800’s. The Werner Inn stands on the corner of State Routes 44 and 172 in the village. The Osnaburg Historical Society owns and operates the inn which has been restored to its original state with much of the period furnishings. This building also served as a tavern in the 1800’s. Just across the street stands another historic inn.