Chardon is in Geauga County. The population was 5,148 at the 2010 census It is the only incorporated city in Geauga County, and incorporates land that was once part of Chardon Township, Hamden Township and Munson Township. It is located about 10 miles south of Lake Erie and within the "snow belt" of the Great Lakes.
In 1812, The Township of Chardon, Ohio was formally established from the land now encompassing Chardon Township and Chardon City and became one of 24 townships within the county. At that time, Geauga County also included land that later became Lake County. In 1851, the Village of Chardon separated from the Township and became incorporated. With the 2000 census figure exceeding 5,000, the Village automatically became the City of Chardon on April 29, 2001.
Today Chardon remains to many, a town rich in history and culture. Its public square is surrounded by government offices and quaint shops and many activities and events are still held there throughout the year.