Conneaut is located on an old Native American trail, later used by early westbound pioneers. The word conneaut comes from the Seneca language, and has a disputed meaning. A Mississauga village was located at or near Conneaut, c. 1747. Conneaut was originally named Salem, and the parts surrounding it were named "Lakeville" from 1944–1964, though these were eventually combined into what is now known as "Conneaut". People still refer to parts of Conneaut as Lakeville or Amboy.
Conneaut was described in 1833 as having a printing office, one meeting house, two taverns, and several stores and shops.